Wednesday, December 29, 2010

After the Last PR by Dave Griffin

What an inspiration this book is. And not just for runners.

Written as a collection of stories from the authors life, Mr. Griffin talks about his family, his friends and his career and how his dedication to and love of running helped him enjoy all those things.

As a novice runner myself, this book gave me inspiration and a feeling of acceptance. I am the only runner in my family, so when I talk about endorphins or the “need” to run, I get blank stares or shrugs and shaking heads. They don’t get it. They don’t understand that need to run.

Mr. Griffin does. And so do millions of other runner out there on the planet. Like in chapter five, the Chapter on Discipline. To a runner discipline is more than the act of running. It is the ritual of connecting with something larger than ourselves. The experience of the outdoors, of time and space that brings us back again and again, no matter how hot or cold it is. We go. We know that once we get moving, our bodies will adjust, we will complete our task at hand and return, refreshed and ready to face the day ahead. And because we have accomplished this task of running, we will accomplish our other tasks. This is something a runner knows.

I enjoyed this book for many reasons. First, as a runner, I could relate to the stories. Second, also as a runner, this book provides me with the inspiration I sometimes need to get my shoes on, get outside and run. Because like so many others out there, I don’t always feel like doing it. So I keep this book first by my shoes to remind me that I’m not the only one who can come up with reasons not to do it, and for all the reasons I should. Then after my run I keep it on my desk for more inspiration. I’m telling you, this is good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment