Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blog Interview with Natasha Bennet


War of the Soulites is available on Amazon


Author Natasha Bennett stopped by to talk about her latest work, War of the Soulites.


Welcome Natasha!  Start us off by telling us a little about yourself.

Hi Nanci, and thank you for having me on Page Readers! To answer your questions, I have lived in Victoria, B.C for most of my life. I wanted to be a writer ever since I was a child, and I love to write fantasy, horror, and science fiction. Currently I have two books published by Lyrical Press, and I hope to have a career as a novelist. In my spare time I am also a certified web designer.

When/how did this story come to you?

I had originally planned to write a fantasy series, but I was watching a lot of science fiction at the time, and I noticed a lot of ideas not explored. The idea of a dysfunctional crew and a corrupt government controlling Earth really appealed to me. War of the Soulites was created from not one, but several ideas. The first book was published in 2009, and the second was published this year.

Do you have a favorite character?

I think my favorite has to to be Marcus Collingway, the first officer on board the Vigilant. He is a character with quite a few problems, and as the reader realizes what they are, it really reflects what's wrong with the universe, and humanity as a whole.

My second favorite character is Renolds Osirus. In the series he has spent most of his life as an accountant, and was recently promoted to Captain. He is inexperienced and usually makes the wrong choices.

What was your favorite part of this story?

In my second book, I have a scene involving space cannibals, and that was a joy to write. Also, in the second book I had more of a chance to describe Earth, and it was a great to provide my version of a futuristic world.

How long did it take you to write it?

The first one took me two years, but that was really on and off. The second took me six months. The third will likely take me a little longer to do, as there is more material to cover.

What was it like “shopping” the book to agents/publisher?

Very difficult. I spent six months trying to find an agent, and afterwards I tried a publisher instead. I did some research, and Lyrical Press had a great reputation. I submitted my manuscript, and it was accepted a couple of weeks later.

How do you like working with (Publisher)Lyrical Press?

They are a very fair publisher and are always prompt with answering questions. It is not easy for any publisher to be successful, and I am happy to say that Lyrical Press has been doing very well.

What do you like best about being an author/Writer?

My favorite part of being a writer is the interaction I have with other people-readers, writers, aspiring writers. In my spare time, I like to help others become published as well through message boards and critique groups.

Do you have any projects in the works, something new coming out? When?

Right now I am working on War of the Soulites 3, but I also have several upcoming projects I am writing as well. One of them is a fantasy series, and another is a novella with a new spin on a zombie apocalypse.

Do you have any other publicity events coming in the future? (other radio interviews, guest blogs, book signings…)

On August 30th, I am participating in a 7-day blog with Novelspot, describing my life as a writer. All my upcoming interviews will be announced on my blog-http://www.tashabennett.blogspot.com./


What do you do when you are not writing? (Family, other work…)

Right now I am planning for a wedding that will take place next year. In my spare time I like to watch horror movies. I also host interviews and reviews on my blog.

1 comment:

  1. you're planning a wedding! How exciting! Congrats on the book and all the good things coming up.

    ReplyDelete